Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pregnancy: Being Out of Control of Your Body


Have you ever read those pregnancy books or blogs raving about how amazing it feels to be pregnant? The glowing skin, thicker hair and just constant joy. Boy, have those books lied to most of us.
Now, don't get me wrong. A lot of women are fortunate to have a lovely, issue-free pregnancy. 
Me, not so much. 
I've been lucky to not have to deal with morning sickness whatsoever, but I've struggled with losing control over my body.
Let me backtrack for  a second. I was a stick figure when I went through puberty at 13. I was blessed with working ovaries, a pear shape and complimentary stretch marks. These little devils have made me so self-conscious that I made a lot of decisions from the fear of someone seeing them (post on that later). With that said, I figured if I couldn't control my skin then I could control my shape. I was always an athlete, but I grew a greater connection to strength training and running. Running was my saving grace. It acted as my outlet or safe haven. I've been a runner since the age of five. It's in my DNA. In January, I decided to run a half marathon every month this year. 

I made it to two before I found out I was expecting. Not quite the goal I had in mind. 

Well, this little boy in my tummy had other plans. I am too dizzy most days to walk a mile, let alone run it. I know it sounds mundane, but running has been the source of my confidence for as long as I could remember. Seeing this alien-like shape to my body hasn't really affected me as much as not being in control of my body.It's affecting my energy, confidence and happiness. I will shamelessly admit this because I feel like there are more women out there with the similar feelings. 
So what do you do?

Accept the current you
Accepting the challenges of the person you are today doesn't mean that you're not willing to work toward the person you need to be tomorrow. It just means that you are allowing yourself to embrace your vulnerabilities.

Don't get discouraged
I have been in pain almost everyday that I've attempted to make my weekly runs. I've stopped and walked more often that I've run. I've had to adjust my workout goal according to how I felt that day. It sucked. I cried. But I didn't quit.

Redefine control
Instead of freaking out about the many sacrifices that come along with your new body, redefine what your in control of. I control my eating habits. I'm trying to get my stress levels under wrap. I control the way style which compliments the new alien body.

Don't lose sight of yourself
My greatest fear about having a baby or being married was never the commitment. It's always been that I would allow myself to slip away. Although I cannot completely enjoy my love of running and strength training, I still follow my fitness blogs and interact with my fitness group.

Pregnancy is not an excuse to abandon your goals. Consider it fuel to the fire. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS